Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Block Buster v. Netflix: No Contest

I've blathered on before about how much I love Netflix. I probably average three rentals a week (if not more) which equals out to 12 rentals a month without leaving my house once @ about $20/month = good deal for me and mine. It also allows me to indulge in my love of watching marathon television box sets (if that's the right term). No way I'd rent six discs of 24 or Sex and the City from Blockbuster, but on Netflix it's a beautiful thing.

I have to add in my own Block Buster tale:

My wife was sick and we were in between Netflix shipments, so I agreed to go down to the local Block Buster for the first time in about three years.

1) I was appalled that several selections that I was interested in, including Garden State, were not available. I had made the trip to the store, I had money in my pocket... and they're out of stock. In 2004, that business model makes no sense for an educated consumer.

2) I get to the checkout, and for some wiseass reason I query the checkout girl about the "no late fees, ever" policy. I assumed that as a low-on-totem-pole employee she would immediately agree with me when I mentioned that "it's not really a no late fee policy because your credit card will be charged after a period time."

Little did I know that I was in for a five minute dissertation on how I'm "really saving money" with this policy.

How I'm really saving money is by paying for bare bones cable television and utilizing Netflix as much as possible.

No comments: