Monday, March 19, 2007

Welcome to the Twitter Vortex

Okay, it happened this weekend: I've totally been drawn into the Twitter vortex. I should have a piece up in the morning about my various findings, but for now check out Twitter Vision, which I think is one of the coolest mashups I've seen in a long time. It basically allows you to see Twitter conversations emerge in real time, popping up all over a Google Maps map of the world.

Twitter supporting applications and satellite websites (like Twitterholic) are already emerging. This thing is real, and getting bigger each day.

The premise is very simple and very catchy – jabber on about anything or simply link to things, and all your "followers" get the message. Addictive to those who already get some kind of buzz from online publishing, and perhaps one of the most killer of its apps is that it's a way to publish without worrying about proofreading, professionalism, and all the other issues that most online writers take seriously when churning out blog posts. There's a downside to all of this to be sure, but the upside is driving a new kind of online community and forum.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about setting up a twitter account. I’m a face book user, and log on regularly, but the only thing I really check is the news feed and friends “status”. And I guess that’s what twitter is. Just a quick update on what’s going on from everyone.